BA in Applied Psychology Heading link
The Applied Psychology Program was developed with the values that a deep theoretical learning must be combined with a rich and rewarding real-world field experience to give you the credentials and confidence you need to pursue your career vigorously and with success.
The success of our students has resulted in the Program growing to include over 330+ approved internship sites in Chicago and the suburbs in all areas of applied psychology. As the Program’s reputation has grown, we are now being actively pursued by community organizations throughout Chicagoland. Community supervisors consistently rate students as superior and excellent interns.
The program delivers upwards of 40,000 hours of community service to our region each year. Our sites include:
- Agencies in mental health, developmental disabilities, autism, community prevention, substance abuse, after school programs and services for the homeless.
- Hospital systems, rehab hospitals, and many community-based mental health and social service agencies.
- Human resources, training and development and other psychological aspects of business.
- Forensic sites including the State’s Attorney’s office, children’s advocacy centers for sexually and physically abused children, unaccompanied minors, and adult and juvenile probation centers.
- Domestic violence shelters, as well as community centers that support women, children, and the family and advocacy center for survivors of sexual assault.
- Culturally competent agencies serving LGBTQ, Native American, African American, Latino, Asian American and Arab American communities.
Program Overview Heading link
The Applied Psychology Program is a special option for the bachelor’s degree in the Department of Psychology at UIC. Courses in psychological testing, research design, and statistics are coupled with small applied courses where faculty know students very well. These courses in interviewing, interventions or crisis counseling psychology prepare students for the field with a focus on direct skill building for fieldwork in addition to theoretical knowledge and the science of practice.
Internships with Real World Impact
This exhilarating education culminates in a one-semester intensive internship experience called Fieldwork in Psychology—a hands-on immersion at one of our more than 250 approved sites. The internship is comprised of direct service and a literature review of best practices, programs or measures that informs the work at your internship placement. The result of your service and the implications of your review can have an immediate impact on your chosen site. Sites eagerly look forward to the energy students bring because their work ethic, professionalism, diversity experience and fresh knowledge provide a value added service to the community.
Career Building Experience
The rigors of the program and our science approach combined with excellent field training put you in an optimal position to:
- Pursue a graduate degree at top graduate programsc
- Obtain immediate employment (most student seeking jobs are offered positions at their internship sites or are provided with excellent references for employment should the site have no openings)
- Find employment after graduation (often through our network of APP partner sites and APP alumni who know the rigor of our program)