LAS has a two-tiered advising structure at the department and college levels. The Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office has a wide range of information and services available to newly and currently enrolled students. Located at 1069/1070/1074 BSB, advisors can assist you with course selection, major or minor declaration, career guidance, graduate school preparation, and referrals to a variety of campus resources. Schedule an appointment by visiting iAdvise in the my.uic.edu portal or by clicking here. The Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office works in close collaboration with the Liberal Arts and Sciences advising center located on the 3rd Floor of University Hall (312-996-3366).
The Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office is supervised by the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Edward Sargis and staffed by three, full-time advisors, Tasha Quinn, Edwin Huicochea and Beth Kravitz. The office is generally open five days a week for psychology department academic advising either on a drop-in or appointment basis. Drop-ins are limited to five-to-ten minute quick questions. Thirty-minute appointments are highly recommended for other concerns. Students can be seen on a drop-in basis on most Tuesdays. On other days, students may schedule an appointment by visiting iAdvise in the my.uic.edu portal or by clicking here.
Students must meet with a PSCH advisor in order to declare the PSCH major. For all interactions with the Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office, please have your student identification card. Review the department website before coming to meet with an advisor. Students can save themselves valuable time and ask more pointed questions during a drop-in or appointment after having reviewed those materials.
For additional news on classes, events and job postings join the PSCHADVISING e-mail listserv by e-mailing the undergraduate advisors. Important updates and news regarding Psychology courses and policies will be sent to this list by the Undergraduate Advisors and the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Please also check the bulletin boards outside of BSB 1069/1070/1074 for such updates!
Edward George Sargis
- Standard office hours during non-peak advising times are:
- Mondays – Appointments 9:30-12 & 1-4
- Tuesdays – Drop-ins 9-12 & 1-4
- Wednesdays – Appointments 9-12 & 1-4
- Thursdays – Appointments 9-12 & 1-4
- Fridays – Appointments 9-12
- All times are subject to change as necessary.
Where to go with your advising questions:
Go to LAS for Advising (3rd Floor University Hall) to:
- seek general education advising.
- ask questions about the foreign language requirement.
- do a college graduation check.
- take a course credit/no credit.
- request late withdrawals or late adds.
- discuss a term withdrawal.
- retake a course you earned a D or F in and apply for grade recalculation. (If you started before Fall 2017)
- inquire about any general Liberal Arts and Sciences concerns.
Attend a Psychology drop-in (Room 1069/1070/1074 BSB) to:
- receive answers for quick 5-10 minute questions.
- declare the psychology major or minor.
- switch from General Psychology to Applied Psychology or vice versa.
- ask a quick question about what requirement a specific course fills.
- briefly review your psychology requirements.
- seek a graduation check.
- Note that drop-in hours are designated for quick questions 5-10minutes. If you feel your situation will require more time, please schedule an advising appointment.
Attend a Psychology appointment (Room 1069/1070/1074 BSB) to:
- discuss probation status.
- do more than one thing listed in drop-ins.
- print out a degree audit and thoroughly go over your requirements in psychology.
- get assistance with course selection.
- explore internships, jobs or graduate school.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Go to the department website and bulletin board for:
- To request a course approval (The form is accessible on campus or through UIC VPN)
- To explore research opportunities available in the department.
- To explore internships, jobs or graduate school.
- To gain information on attending Psi Chi meetings and joining Psi Chi
- To check out current events.
- To get helpful handouts.
Resources: Please explore the website throughly, as often students find the answer to their questions on the website.
Have a compliment or complaint regarding an instructor? Contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Edward Sargis, email@example.com